Click Here To Discover How To Survive a Hospital Stay!

If Your Life or Your Loved One's Life is Worth $30 Click Here!

                                  

Monday, June 05, 2006

Going To The Hospital

HI! This is my first real post to this blog. Before I start chronicling my journey about having a double lung transplant 14 years ago, I first want to give you a brief synopsis of my medical background.

My name is Brandi Clark and I'm 26 years old. At the age of 12 I underwent a double lung transplant due to Cystic Fibrosis. I had the transplant at St. Louis Children's Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri. Directly after transplant I began having difficulty breathing. It was determined that I needed a stent to keep my airway open. They placed the stent and my breathing was great! So after several months they removed the stent and all was well.

Without going into a lot of detail right now, I will tell you that about three years ago I was diagnosed with bronchiolitis obliterans. The best way for me to describe this to you is this: it's a chronic scarring of the airways within the lungs. There is no cure and it usually does get worse. Because of the bronchiolitis obliterans my breathing has become rather difficult. My Pulmonary Function Test (PFT) results have dropped significantly. For those of you that don't know what PFTs are the simplest way to understand it is to know that they measure how much you blow out in one second. There are many aspects to PFTs but this is the one feature that I look at most because I understand it best. Anyway, I once blew out around 1.60 liter in one second. Now, because of the bronchiolitis obliterans I blow .52 liter in one second. This is a significant decrease.

But this blog is not a pitty party for me. My hope is that this blog will help others who are in the same situation so that we can all learn from each other. But I also want this blog to be for those who have never had a transplant, or even have an illness because I want this to be an educational tool for you folks also. This is a great way for you to learn more about how some people with chronic/terminal illnesses handle situations and what is dealt with on a daily basis.

To Your Health,
Brandi

Brandi also has blogs on Wedding Decor and More!,Looking At Cooking, Easy Kid's Craft Ideas, Craft Ideas,Father's Day Craft Ideas, 4th of July Craft Ideas

Going To The Hospital

1 Comments:

Blogger Indian Surgical Industries said...

Hospital Furniture manufacturer and supplier in delhi, India- Hydraulic Tables, Semi- Fowler Bed, Baby Cot furniture, Hospital/Medical Beds(electric hospital bed, hydraulic bed), Dressing Trolley, Instrument Trolley. wholesale supply in all delhi NCR (Noida, Ghaziabad, Faridabad and Gurgaon).

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home